Classic Fly Tying
Sharing our knowledge of Classic Trout Flies and How To Tie Them
Classic Trout Flies
Trout flies are generally divided into two main categories: dry flies and wet flies. The wet flies category also contains a subcategory called nymphs. To learn a little more about each category, click on one of the following buttons. We tend to focus on the classic patterns from days gone by but also throw in a few modern patterns as well.
Explore Fly Tying
Fly tying is an art that’s been around for hundreds of years. It requires a little skill and some patience to become proficient but it’s not for everyone. We developed this website to share our knowledge of fly patterns so you can see if it might be for you.
Click on the Fly Dressing button for an amazing description of how to tie a fly. You can also learn more about the materials that we use for tying flies by clicking on the Fly Tying Cards button.
Browse Framed Fly Collections
To highlight our classic flies, we make them available in framed fly collections. Depending on the frame size, there are either 8 or 18 flies to a collection. You can see a gallery of collections by clicking on the button below.
If you would like a different collection or perhaps a combination of flies from different collections mounted in one frame, then a custom framed fly collection could be an option for you.
Latest Blog Posts
- Braided Blue DamselflyHere’s another fly I’m going to enter into that fly tying contest I mentioned last time. This one is called the Braided Blue Damselfly which I am going to enter in the […]
- TenkaraI barely even know what Tenkara means but I’m working on some flies for a fly tying contest and Tenkara is one of the categories. I at least need to figure out […]
- Classic Nymph Collection #1A while ago I wrote a blog post called “Nymphs Too!”. The reason for the post was that I had just won the “Nymph” division at the 2021 MTFA Fly Tying Contest […]
- Catching UpI’ve been away too long (again!) but now I’ll try to catch up. Deep down in my website is a page called Custom Fly Tying but it is still under construction. I’m […]
- 2021 Branson Fly Fishing ExpoLast summer I attended the 2021 Branson Fly Fishing Expo and it went really well. The earlier sessions were somewhat lightly attended but the later sessions were pretty busy. I spent the […]