Classic Fly Tying
Sharing our knowledge of Classic Trout Flies and How To Tie Them
Classic Trout Flies
Trout flies are generally divided into two main categories: wet flies and dry flies. To learn a little more about each category, click on one of the following buttons. We tend to focus on the classic patterns from days gone by but also throw in a few modern patterns as well.
Explore Fly Tying
Fly tying is an art that’s been around for hundreds of years. It requires a little skill and some patience to become proficient but it’s not for everyone. We developed this website to share our knowledge of fly patterns so you can see if it might be for you.
Click on the Fly Dressing button for an amazing description of how to tie a fly. You can also learn more about the materials that we use for tying flies by clicking on the Fly Tying Cards button.
Browse Framed Fly Collections
To highlight our classic flies, we make them available in framed fly collections. Depending on the frame size, there are either 8 or 18 flies to a collection. You can see a gallery of collections by clicking on the button below.
If you would like a different collection or perhaps a combination of flies from different collections mounted in one frame, then a custom framed fly collection could be an option for you.
Latest Blog Posts
- Nymphs Too!The premise of my website is “classic” wet and dry flies, of course, but I also tie and fish with a lot nymphs. These flies more or less represent insects in their […]
- Award-Winning FliesA few weeks ago I submitted 5 pairs of my tied flies to the 2021 Missouri Trout Fisherman’s Association’s Fly Tying Contest. The results have now been published and, lo and behold, […]
- Been Away So Long …Been away so long I hardly knew the placeGee it’s good to be back homeLeave it ’til tomorrow to unpack my caseHoney disconnect the phone … from verse two of “Back In […]
- Halford Dry Fly Collection #1 (5×7)A new Framed Fly collection is now available! This fly collection contains 8 trout flies tied as they appear in Frederic M. Halford’s 1886 book “Floating Flies and How To Dress Them”. […]
- Fly Tying Cards – Halford Dry FliesA new set of Fly Tying Cards is now available! This set contains 8 selected Halford Dry flies. These patterns are from Frederic M. Halford’s 1886 book “Floating Flies and How To […]